I made a really fun project this weekend. So fun that I went out and got fabric for two more! You can find the fantastic tutorial at the blog Living with Punks Land of Nod-Inspired Floor Cushion
Some people would just follow the pattern the first time and make alterations on the second pass. But oh no, not me. I made this one a couple inches larger than the original and I just fudged the part that goes around the sides of the cushion. Of course, I picked a directional fabric, so not everything quite matches up, but I didn't really try too hard.
I have a nephew that loves to take the pillows off of the couch and sit on them and carry them around. So I thought this would be great - especially since it has a handle. This is my first time working with home dec/canvas-weight fabric and my first time working with piping. I love it! The piping gives such a nice finished look.
This is the second fabric (another directional...). I made this one the 17" from the pattern but then in misguided zeal I decided to try to add a zipper. Not a great idea. I mean, the zipper is in there, but it's not in there very well. It caused the rise to be shorter than the 9" the pattern advises. I'll have to post a finished picture later. I just like the one above because I love the Lime pre-made piping.
This is the fabric I picked for my own. I just love it - it has a very tapestry-style to it. I have it prepped except that I purchased what I thought was two packages of piping, but lo and behold, they were two different shades of brown. Instead of rolling with it, I decided that I'd shoot over to Joanns and pick up the proper color. It's five minutes away (I know - dangerous!).
I also picked up a ruffler foot for my machine. Awesome! I just did this little sample piece to see if it would work in my machine. Should be really helpful when making pettiskirts! (I made the one below last fall for my niece who lives on a dairy farm, just using a long stitch and adjusting the tension on my machine.)
Another weekend project I started on late last week: a jelly roll rug from this Moda Bake Shop tutorial.
The Blush line from Moda. When I bought it I really liked it. Then it sat in my stash for a long time. I've really enjoyed seeing some of the aqua/red/pink projects from others, but I don't think it's really my palette. So, I haven't really known what to do with it. When I saw this project, I decided to give it a try. If it works out, it could be a great stashbuster. Plus, I already have a lot of that anti-slip shelf liner!