Pages

Wednesday, May 30, 2012

The Granny Allure

Not Your Granny's Bee picks 

Sometimes it's feast or famine around these here blog parts. I did get some sewing done over the holiday weekend but most of my time was taken up by being lazy. So, I didn't really have time to sew or blog :).

I am making a gift for my soon-to-be-2 year old nephew and that's partly done (here's a peak).

Sneak peak @ WIP 

Still behind on my Mother's Day gifts (I will be distributing them after Father's Day, so really, I have plenty of time to procrastinate) and I signed up for another swap (I'm such a sucker!). Why, because I couldn't resist the allure of the granny... square block.

If you're not familiar with the granny square block, you can check out this post at Blue Elephant Stitches. Jolene was inspired by the granny square crocheted blankets.

The Not Your Granny's Bee is swapping granny squares based on Katy's strip piecing tutorial, which is based on Jolene's tutorial, which uses individual blocks. There's another swap out there swapping granny squares but I thought the strip piecing was more up my alley, in my wheelhouse, at my speed - you get what I'm saying. The organizers had the great idea of allowing each participant to sign up for a color combo and a background preference. So we'll each get every color on the color wheel. We are each making 24 blocks - 8 on Charcoal, 8 on Snow, and 8 on White. (Katy's tutorial makes 8 blocks.) Obviously, I signed up for the pink/green combo and I chose white for the background.

I spent a lot of time trying to make all of my greens and pinks go together. But I just don't think the avocado, kelly and lime greens would really work in one block. So I ended up splitting the colors up into three groups, one for each background color.

And in fabric news... I won a Sew Mama Sew Giveaway Day prize over at England Street Quilts, where Shontelle blogs, straight out of Australia! Very excited for the Whimsy fabric. With the granny swap, the Whimsy win, and a serious fabric splurge (amazing deal at The Intrepid Thread on a FQ bundle of Lucy's Crab Shack, which I have been early awaiting), I have my fall new baby quilts covered (got three of them arriving!).

Onwards and upwards!

No comments: