Pages

Monday, January 17, 2011

Mistakes Are Opportunities

IMG_0115

Here are my Sugar Pop blocks all sewn together - the individual blocks are sewn together, that is. The un-sewn stacks were my WIP Wednesday pic. In my initial quilt design, I wanted to do some off-set sashing between the blocks (1" on one side, 2" on the other). I had some white on white pin dot fabric from The Fat Quarter Shop in my stash that I thought would complement the the graphic prints without being too busy. I had just a smidgen less than I thought I needed, but I decided I would just go ahead and go for it.

All was going well, I had the top and bottom of each block done. I was pressing seams. It was lookin' good.

IMG_0126

But THEN..  bahm, bahm bahhhhhm...

IMG_0131

I noticed a leeee-tle mistake. The lighter colored blocks + the white on white pin dot = Major Bummer! OK, maybe this is a Minor Bummer, but I didn't like it. 

It bothered me. It irked me. It was an itch I couldn't scratch.

I tried to be Type B about it - laid back, go-with-the-flow - blah, blah, blah. To make matters more annoying, I just so happen to have some Kona Snow in my stash which matches perfectly with the off-white of the Sugar Pop fabrics. If only I had used the Snow from beginning (smacks head on sewing table)...

IMG_0130

After some inventive and more traditional cursing and hopping around, I took a good look in the mirror and I said to myself, 'Self, here's a little lesson from the school of hard knocks - sometimes you have to make the choice between doing what's right and doing what's easy. Do the right thing.' I could leave it, after all, I've already cut the pin dot fabric for this project and it's already half sewn to the blocks. And no one will know. Whoever owns this quilt in the end may never notice!

But I can't do it. I can't leave well-enough alone in this case. And so, I'm going to do the right thing. I'm going to spend some quality time with my friend and your's - Mr. Seam Ripper! 

IMG_0135

I'm looking forward to it so much that I noticed my little color anomaly over an hour and a half ago and I haven't taken a single stitch out. Instead, I decided to watch a couple episodes of 30 Rock and write a blog post.

In fact, I have a mind to just put my blocks in a bag and pretend they're not there. And then, I can just start a new project. 

No, no! I'm going to do this. I'm going to get this done. I'm going to take this opportunity to change up my design a little bit, too.  We'll see what happens.  

To be continued...

No comments: