Pages

Thursday, January 20, 2011

Inspiration

I found this video on BurdaStyle and wanted to share.


Jacquie over at Tallgrass Prairie Studio asked her readers why they make things and there are many wonderful responses. Here's the post.

I don't know why I make things. It's fun. (Well, I don't think ripping seams is fun, but most of the time it's fun!) I see a great pattern or fabric and I want to make something out of it. Time-wise and resource-wise, it sometimes doesn't make sense. It's almost a compulsion. I like that I make useful things - I currently live in Minnesota and I have four quilts on my bed. We can always use more blankets here!

When I'm out and about, I see tiled flooring and I see a quilt. I see the pattern in a bridge and I see a quilt. I see bricks on a building and I see a quilt. Flowers in a garden, arcs and angles at a playground, the blurred black and yellow of a school bus, denuded trees frosted with snow, sunlight streaming through a window cutting through the shadows on the floor.

Creation is all around us, just waiting to inspire us!

Of course, creation will have to wait today because I have to go to the grocery store and do some cleaning!

Here is a not-so-great photo of my Sugar Pop quilt. Photographing at an angle to the window is preferable to having the light hit straight on. Live and learn.

Sugar Pop quilt top Jan '11

It's about 60x60 and I am considering a Snow border, but I kinda like it like this, even if it is on the small side. The solids are Kona burgundy and Kona Snow. In retrospect, I wish I would have done thinner white strips (they are 1" finished) but I like it anyway. It's a far cry from what I initially envisioned (white pin dot sashing between all of the blocks), but I think it works alright.

No comments: