Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Last Week's Sewing

Block-a-palooza binding
Border cum binding
Happy belated Fourth! Hope you enjoyed the holiday!

Here's what I was up to this past week:

I finally finished the top for my Block-a-Palooza quilt. Really, all I had to do was some seam ripping, sashing, and adding a border.

Block-a-palooza top finished

I'm really happy that I got it done. As I've mentioned before on this quilt along journey, I'm not a huge fan of the way samplers look. But I had so much fun making each of these blocks, concentrating on the colors and different shapes and pieces (just like making the bee blocks). They are far from perfect (and I know the sashing is a bit odd...), but even with the flaws I am really happy looking at them, especially the blocks with a ton of pieces!

I also whipped up some burp cloths for my new niece, whom we met on Sunday. I used this pattern for contoured burp cloths from Cloud 9 Fabrics but I used quilter cotton and t-shirt jersey as Rae suggested in her burp cloth tutorial.

Burp cloths

I really like how they turned out. I have previously made some from Joann's flannel and cloth diapers and they got really pill-y. I made some out of LQS flannel, but I'm not sure how they have faired. Hopefully, these ones will hold up a little better and be just as absorbent.

Burp cloths

The contour really does help it stay on your shoulder.

Burp cloths

And they're so cute! Cute enough to puke on!

I also started a new quilting project (finally!).

Solids WIP

I've had this one in my design book for a while. I have about 220 blocks so far and I'd like to have a hundred more. But we shall see if I get that far.

I've also fallen in love with starch. I don't know if it's kosher in the quilting world, but it is really helpful when working with these blocks that are cut on the bias. I'm also re-pressing hundreds of seams on some 3" half square triangle blocks that have been languishing and the starch has been awesome.

Fat Geese WIP

I tried to use these blocks as leaders and enders, but I had some seam bulk problems, so I thought it would be better to have the seams pressed open. They are destined to become a low-intensity fat geese quilt.

Fat Geese WIP

But this is an ongoing re-pressing project, as I have two salad bins full of squares to re-press!

Fat Geese WIP

1 comment:

Susan said...

Your Block-A-Palooza looks great and I like the sashing. :)