Pages

Thursday, April 19, 2012

Eureka!

Simplicity 2147

I finally made something I can wear.

Here are the final projects from two of the hilarious muslin patterns.

The Simplicity tunic is definitely better in a flowier fabric. I used a silky print from JoAnn's, but it's not shiny, silky. It's a heavier, matte texture - I think it might be a silky moleskin, if there is such a thing.

Simplicity 2147 pattern alteration

I shortened it up, about 2.5" further than the tunic length. I modified my size 14 pattern by folding in the sides about an inch and a a half and tapering it from the waist. The only modification I need to make now is to make taper it back out a titch at the hips.

Simplicity 2147, bodice

I did a facing, instead of using bias tape (I totally made it up, because even though it sounds like I know what I'm doing, I was just flying by the seat of my pants). I accidentally switched up my front and back facings, so the longer side is in front. No big deal. I just like the finish better than bias tape because I suck at bias tape. The neck is gaping a little in the photo because I was doing a self-portrait with my arms out in front of my body - classy!

I also did French seams, which I thought would be good with the ravelly fabric. It added a little bulk at the shoulders, since I had the facing pieces in there, too. But it's not that bad.

Yea for a wearable a project!

Simplicity 0353-Continental Dress

Here is my final Continental dress in a size 10. Somehow I messed up the neckline because I added the bias binding in the length called for by the pattern, but it was way too small and pulled the fabric so it distorted the armholes. So, I had to detach it, re-gather the front, lengthen the binding and try again.

Simplicity 0353-Continental Dress

I added some hastily-made back darts, as well (totally eye-balled these). And again, since this is part linen - I did French seams.

Simplicity 0353-Continental Dress

The neck and armholes are still a little too big and I think I could go down one more size, but I didn't want to re-trace the pattern a third time. My only problem now - it's a tiny bit itchy. It's a linen/cotton blend and I'm wondering if I wear it and beat it up a little, it will get softer.

Anyway, I'm hard at work at my striped dress and off once, again to MN for a week. So, I think I'll just bring along My Precious quilt to work on.

No comments: