Pages

Tuesday, May 31, 2011

I'm Still Here!

Minky Tag Ball

It has been a long time since I posted! But, as this is a record of my sewing projects and I haven't been sewing much... There hasn't been much to report :)

Here are a couple little things I made for my new niece - a tag blanket from minky and a matching ball. I filled it with fiber fill and a little cat toy with the bell inside. I just googled "tag blanket" or something like that and found a number of tutorials and ideas.

Tag blanket and ball
My sad first attempt at prairie points...
I had a sewing FAIL or a fail in the making. I think I started this dress a couple weeks ago...

Evening Empire Dress Fail

But the result was something a little too Brigadoon, rather than the carefree summer Madras that I was going for. I found this cotton homespun at Hancock Fabrics for $2/yard and decided to give this pattern a try (since I've had it for a year!):

AMH Evening Empire Dress pattern



I'm fairly new to sewing clothes and this is the first time I've cut out pattern pieces and actually tried to make the dress (I have a number of pattern pieces cut out for things I haven't attempted yet... and I've made several versions of the Mendocino Sundress).

Evening Empire Dress Fail
I am actually happy with the bodice. I was surprised that it went together so easily and fit fairly well :)
The pattern seems clear and everything was going along fine. First time I tried the invisible zipper, but it seemed to work out ok. I decided to line the dress with more of the outer material rather than buying something else. But that made it a bit too voluminous and for a empire dress, that is a big no-no. So I ripped out the lining this weekend and that helped a little. I also have to re-do the straps because I kinda fudged them and one of them is WAY off.

But eventually, maybe with a belt and a sweater I can make it work. If not, it was a good muslin for my next attempt. I can see how voile would be a great choice - something with a softer hand (OR, with a thicker fabric, maybe I need to make the skirt piece a little smaller because the gathers make the skirt portion a bit stiff and poofy...)

Napkins

I did manage to complete 5 of my cloth napkins. (Seriously, I had one done on the 18th and I've managed to make only 4 more since...). 19 to go!

Napkins
Working with that stripe at the bottom practically gives me a seizure every time I look at it!
I really want to finish up my Fandango quilt because the Naked Bed Challenge comes to a close on Thursday, so that's what I'm going to concentrate on in the next couple days. Then I'll go back to the dress re-hab.

AND... Look what showed up in the mail!

FQ win from Little Miss Shabby

Corey at Little Miss Shabby was having some giveaways to celebrate her birthday and I won one! I love that top print (from Pat Bravo's Bohemian Soul line). This is a great bundle of surprising prints and solids chosen by Charlie and Lindsay of the fantastic Hawthorne Threads fabric shop. Thanks Corey!

No comments: