Pages

Monday, December 6, 2010

Twister Quilt**

**Back-posting from my personal blog**

Typically blurry photo
Not much to report here, so I thought I'd share a project that I made when I was last in Minnesota. I usually don't post quilts because I have plans for them and I want it to be a surprise. But this one is for me (you might recognize the fabrics from my stepdad's wallhangings)!

I got a new quilting tool called the Lil Twister - it was developed by a women in Superior, WI. This one for use with 5" squares. The full-sized Twister is for 10" squares. **2011 update, my mom gave me one, now I'm just waiting for the right layer cake!


You start out by sewing all of your charm squares together (I had four packs of Neptune, with some left over) and add a 3" border- easy, peasy (Kona Slate).


Here's a close up of those Neptune fabrics again.


Then you place the acrylic template over the corner seams and cut out the square on the diagonal.


Those squares I have circled are the pieces that I cut (by hand!) down to 2.5" for the wallhanging. Waste not, want not.

The only thing you really need to do is be careful to set your new blocks in order because it would be a massive pain to try to untangle them. After all that sewing and re-cutting, you get...

Tadah!!


I didn't do a great job of spreading out the darkest blue blocks (they look black here) but other than that I am really pleased. Not sure how I'll quilt this one...

No comments: