This weekend, I spent hours sewing and I only have one napkin to show for it!
But what a lovely napkin it is, no?
I cut out 24 of these badboys after seeing Caroline's napkins at Trillium Design, based on Penny's tutorial for linen napkins at Sew Take a Hike.
|These are the 14 with the sides sewn on, but not mitered or turned...|
At home, we use those pick-a-size paper towels (told ya we were fancy!). But, there again, I like to have a couple, so there are folded paper towels in odd places around our apartment. Because why would I throw them away if they aren't even really dirty?!
I'm trying to be better for the environment (and for the restaurants!) and more economical. I made a set of napkins for my friend that were a different style. I just used a printed square and a Kona sold square, sewed around the edges with a hole left for turning and then top-stitched around the edge. Very easy, very cute. But, then you're using two full squares of cotton and I didn't want to use that much of my precious fabric. (On the other hand, I ended up using a 12.5" square and almost an entire FQ for each napkin, so you tell me if I came out ahead!) And Penny and Caroline's were so lovely with the bright colors and mitered corners, I thought I'd give it a go...
The blue fabric is 100% cotton shirting that I got at Hancock's anniversary sale for 95 cents a yard (!!) and I thought they'd make good napkins. I paired them up with some FQs that have been languishing in a drawer. I didn't worry about matching the blue or anything (we'll be wiping our faces with them, after all!). And voila - one napkin, 23 partial napkins...
This was a bigger undertaking than I had thought. Note to self - always do a test block/napkin first :)
And now I think we're in for the Summer Sewing Slump. I still think about sewing a lot - probably because of the five million blogs I follow... but I haven't seem to do much sewing lately. Fortunately, it's just a hobby and not a job :)