Pages

Thursday, December 20, 2012

Just Keep Sewing, Just Keep Sewing...

Fish! 

Well, we're having a blizzard here in Madison, WI. Wish I had a snow day, but I'm a telecommuter, "so rain, sleet or snow..." (or more accurately, "morning sickness, nasty cold, or blizzard") I'm working! I'm taking a short break for shoveling this afternoon before the temperature drops and everything freezes, though!

I've been working on a few projects this past month. I made up a fishing game (like this one) for my niece for Christmas. I just need to finish making the poles.

Fishing set for my niece!

The hardest part of the first fishing set was the stupid (but cute!) bucket. So, I whipped up this decidedly non-fishing bag to hold the fish, instead.

Fishy bag

It's based on this pattern, but I just used up the scraps that I had, so the measurements are a little different. It will have a drawstring, once I scrounge one up. Might have to settle for yarn.

I am the final queen bee, bee mama, bee person - whatever you want to call it - for Bee a {Modern} Swapper. And after much deliberation, I chose the very traditional churn dash block (but 4 minis in 1 block!) and asked for scrappy, modern fabrics. I made a gallery of examples. Can't wait to see what my co-honeycombers come up with!

Actually, I never posted Novembers blocks for Whitney - here they are:

Ba{M}S November Blocks

They were a little late, but they have safely arrived already. This is a non-paper pieced block called Wonky Pinwheels. Tutorial here from Greenleaf Goods. I love the colors she chose and I can't wait to see how it turns out!

I've also been putting together my hospital bag. I'm using a pattern by Studio Cherie/Simplicity 2274. Here's a little, in progress photo (this is the inside - just need to attach the sides!):

Simplicity 2274

It's been a multi-stage process, I think I began about two weeks ago. I have a post started about how I went about constructing the pattern and the various blogposts I consulted before beginning. I don't think it's a difficult pattern. But, like all bags, there are a ton of steps and there's a certain amount of bulk to work through your machine. So far, I'm pretty excited about it.

Simplicity 2274

I have all my fabric washed and waiting to make receiving blankets and Boppy covers, but those will have to wait until after we celebrate the holidays. My husband has been practicing swaddling with a Mickey Mouse doll we got for free at Babies R Us and a hooded towel, so he's eager for me to finish up the receiving blankets so he can practice "for real." :)

Here are a few homemade goodies for the baby from my very talented family members:

My aunt in Texas crocheted the baby about 9 or 10 blankets of varying sizes and weights. This is just one of them!



My Minnesota aunt made this lovely batik quilt:


And my cousin made me a variety of burp cloths, washcloths, and this great changing mat with lime PUL fabric on one side (love it!).



The washcloths and pink burp cloths are such great ways to use up smaller pieces of fabric that you can't bear to throw away!

Happy holidays to everyone! Hope to have lots more fun things to share soon! 

Out to shovel now...

No comments: