Thursday, August 21, 2014

Shark Week


We are not fully unpacked, despite being at our new place for about three weeks. Unpacking with a toddler is a much longer process than unpacking with an infant: they tend to stay where you put them!

Even though we have boxes around, I was still able to get in some sewing time (yea!). I made this little pencil case for my nephew who is turning five next week. I'm going to stuff it with some gummy fish or sharks, instead of pencils :) I used this free pattern and tutorial from Patchwork Posse. I made a couple changes just based on what I had. I used fusible fleece for the interfacing for the body of the shark and then some Pellon Craft Fuse for the fins. I don't have pinking sheers, so I went ahead and sewed the fin pieces right sides together and turned them. If I did it again, I might enlarge the fin pieces a little bit to facilitate the turning. 


The zipper was a big conundrum. Firstly, mine was a bit longer than the 7" the pattern calls for. The tutorial notes that you may have to finagle and do some hand sewing to fully install it and I had to do the same. But before I made one stitch, I sat for a long time trying to figure out how to get it in. And then when I started, it was a bit of a mess. If I make another one, I think I will try to insert the zipper first, the way you would make a simple, rectangular zippered pouch.



I also got started on my Washi muslin. I've had the pattern for a while and the fabric, but neither the time nor space to get things rolling. I found this Lisette cotton lawn at Joann's on the 50% off Red Tag shelves, so it was only about $2.50. Perfect for a (possibly) wearable muslin. And it if doesn't work out to be wearable, I'll just cut it up and make something for my daughter.


I did make a muslin of the bodice first because I thought I would probably have to add an inch or so, as other people have done. I also thought that the darts hit a bit high for me. Unfortunately, since I am not great at sewing garments, I over-corrected. I added two inches to the bodice length and I moved the darts about an inch and a half down. Now everything is a bit too low. Live and learn.


In the next incarnation, the darts will have to go up a bit and I think adding that one inch to the bodice would be sufficient. I used Megan Nielsen's tutorial on moving the dart and aside from moving them too far, it was pretty easy to to do. Because this is a white print, I have a very thin layer of white voile underlining the pieces. The neckline and hem are not finished, yet. But I managed to do the arm holes. Because I underlined and this is a test garment, I thought I would use the opportunity to practice my bias binding skills and bind the arms and neckline with bias tape. My husband gave me a bias tape maker for my birthday. I gave it a whirl and I like it so far. I think it pays to take time to starch the seams and really prep the strips. But it's really nice to be able to make 100% cotton binding (instead of the cotton/poly mix from the pre-packaged Wright bindings). This lawn is pretty stretchy on the bias, so a little starch might have been helpful. Again, this has been a pretty good project to learn on.

I tend to shy away from making clothes for myself because fit is so important for adults. Kids can use room to grow and change. But it's such a crapshoot each time I start a project for me and then, even if I take the time to make a muslin, it's not a guarantee of success. In the time it takes to trouble-shoot fitting issues with a muslin and then produce an actual piece of clothing, I could have quite a few blocks made or even a whole quilt. So, I never get in the practice and experience you need to become a decent garment maker. Oh well. My beautiful lawns will have to wait.

I'm so happy to have a little space to create, again. It is in no way organized, yet (especially since we haven't fully unpacked), but after dumping everything out, there's just enough room for me to actually make something.





No comments: