Pages

Saturday, October 8, 2011

Shower Surprise-Check!

Stocking J

A good friend is getting married soon and I am attending her shower this weekend. She had asked me early in the year (or was it last year...?) to make her and her intended (he hates the word fiance) stockings. I had it on the to-do list and when I received the shower invite, I knew the time had come.

I did a lot of internet searching and trolling for ideas and inspiration. The pattern that I used the most was probably this one from the FabricWorm shop's blog. The Purl Bee has some great ones as well.

I really love these ones that Cynthia at Meringue Designs made for her family:

patchwork christmas stockings

I definitely did not have enough fabric in red or green in the same tint family to do patchwork-style (and no embroidery machine for the names...) And my friend hates red. I toyed with blue and white (which is the color of my stocking!), but I picked up a 1/2 yard Christmas bundle when I was at the WI Quilt Expo from the Janie Lou Quilts booth (one of the decidedly modern quilt booths there). So I went with it!

Stocking E

Instead of using batting, I used fusible fleece on the outer stocking and I didn't do anything to the lining (appropriately, I used Kona Snow). I appliquéd both of their first initials and finished it with a blanket stitch. I was super nervous because I haven't mastered using the blanket stitch but I am really pleased with how they turned out.

Stocking applique

I think the letters should be a little lower, but it's not too distracting. I used a decorative stitch around the cuff that looks like a wave or, in this case, the snow on a gingerbread house.

Stocking cuff

I had a leeeeetle trouble with the little hanging loop. I hung them to photograph them and the J one kept kind of listing to the right, whereas the E one hung very straight. So, I put a little stitch in the J one. But I wonder if it will correct itself it is full of candy or camping supplies :)

This is a pretty fun and easy gift idea for anyone in need of a new stocking!

No comments: